Home care of children after cardiac surgery
How to take care of your child after his/her heart surgery?
There are different aspects of care that parents should be aware of once they take their child back home from a hospital after surgery.. Here are a few things to keep in mind
Incision/ Wound Care
- Keep the incision clean and dry.
- Cover the incision when the child is eating or drying.
- Observe for –redness, swelling, pain, discharge of pus or blood and fever.
- Do not apply powder or lotions over the wound site for at least 2 weeks post surgery unless prescribed by doctor.
- After the stitches are removed, keep the wound exposed to air for quick healing.
- About one week after surgery, most children are ready to resume bathing or sponging.
- Take care that the child is not itching the incision.
- Keep everything like dresses, towels, bed sheets clean.